THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, December 8, 2008

Relflective Letter Draft 1 (what i have so far)

Writing 101 was a great experience for me this quarter. When I was in high school, I was a pretty good writer and generally did well in my English classes, so when I came into this class, I thought it would be easy. I learned more about writing in this class then all my high school English classes combined. Despite how much I have learned this quarter; there is still room for improvement in my writing. I believe that writing every day helped me develop skills to write my loyalists’ essay and my Bacon’s Rebellion essay.

When the quarter first began we did a lot of writing. At first the writing was not necessarily supposed to be structured. We did a lot of free writing in the beginning just to get in the habit of it everyday. This really helped because I didn’t feel any pressure at first to right a certain way, because everyone has there own style of writing. After we got used to writing everyday, we put structure on our writing by looking at worksheets how to put together a paragraph and we read templates from our They Say, I Say book which I was surprised how much it benefited and helped develop my writing. The templates were there to help build up my writing and get it out of the same old style of having the same word phrases or same transition words. It helped my writing in the way so my reader wouldn’t become easily bored.

This quarter we wrote an essay where we had states selected for us and a side, either loyalist or patriot also picked for us. Despite the fact that many people thought essay 2 was easier, I thought it was a bit more difficult, just because of the fact that most of our research work was given to us in documents and other sources for essay 1. We also had more time to put our work together for essay 1. I thought that finding research through j stor for my specific state proved pretty difficult, and I think I could have had more to write about if I had better sources. Right now what I really struggled on in this easy was organization. I believe I had an excellent starting point for the essay, but I need to work on reading over my essay and making sure it makes sense in the order that I put it in. This is one thing that Craig really stressed and I learned a lot from this essay and I will change this in the future.

One essay that I wrote that I felt I did a pretty good job on was my Bacon’s Rebellion essay. I liked this essay because of all the resources we had prior to writing the essay. I felt that because of all the resources, I could really gather an opinion of what I wanted to write about.

3 comments:

Emm said...

Careful with grammar and word choice , Second paragraph you say "Right" and im guessing you mean write? ha thats something i would do.
-Guessing your not really finish and your not done, make sure to inclue quotes.
-i like all the point and steps you include just include like essay feedback that you got and stuff like that

alysters said...

Great rough draft. However, I do suggest for you to include good quotes to support of your "strengths" or improvements.

I was a little concerned with the grammar, but its just a rough draft. you can still change it.

I think its great that you started off with introducing your "past educational journey in writing". It gave me a sense of how you wrote before and how you have improved. Overall, i think this is great. Make sure the length is not too long. ( i know i struggle with that)

great Job!! i can really see how you have improved:)

Leah Vickers said...

What you have so far is good :) keep going with it!

I would suggest giving some evidence of what you have learned in the first paragraph. You talk about all the things you learned; give some examples :)

Oh and don't forget the quotes from your own writing! :)